Few equalizers enjoy the respect and admiration of the coveted API 550A. Designed by the now-legendary Saul Walker in the late '60s, the discrete 550A was first used as a modular OEM equalizer. As the industry rapidly embraced the sonic quality of the 550A, it quickly found its way into many custom console designs by Frank DeMedio and other leading engineers. Many of these consoles are still in use today.
Forty years later, the 550A remains the standard against which other EQs are measured, and it has played a major role in the recording industry for decades. Still copied but never duplicated, the 550A became API's standard channel module EQ when the company began manufacturing consoles in 1971. With virtually all existing units spoken for, popular demand for this EQ resulted in API finally resuming production in 2004.Free shipping in the USA with Fedex Ground
Retro Gear Shop is an Authorized API Audio Dealer.
Brand New with full Warranty.
Any questions, contact us!
- 3 bands of classic API equalization - Each band offers 7 API selected frequency centers
- Reciprocal and repeatable filtering
- Maximum 12 dB of boost/cut per band
- EQ Band 1 and 3 offer shelf/peak switching
- "Proportional Q" narrows filter Q at extremes
- Traditional API fully discrete circuit design
- High headroom +30 dB clip level
- Output Impedance: Less than 85Ω (transformer isolated)
- Nominal Operating Level: –15 dBm to +12 dBm
- Insertion Loss: None (bridging)
- Frequency Response, Unequalized: ±0.5 dB 30 Hz to 20 kHz
- Noise: Unequalized, output noise of –90 dBm, high level strapping and
–98 dBm, low level strapping, 20 Hz to 20 kHz unweighted
- Distortion: .05% THD max, 30 Hz to 20 kHz @ +4 dBm , .07% THD max, 30 Hz to 20 kHz @ +18 dBm
- Clipping Level (3% THD): +30 dBm
- Power Requirement: ±15 volts to ±18 volts @ 70 ma
- Dual Concentric Rotary: LF select: 30, 40, 50, 100, 200, 300,
400 Hz and stepped degree of equalization –12dB to +12 dB
- Dual Concentric Rotary: MF select: 200, 400, 600, 800, 1500,
3000, 5000 Hz and stepped degree of equalization –12dB to
- Dual Concentric Rotary: HF select: 2500, 5000, 7000, 10,000,
12,500, 15,000, 20,000 Hz and stepped degree of equalization
–12 dB to + 12 dB
All equalization is in steps of 2, 4, 6, 9 and 12 dB either plus or minus
- 50 Hz to 15 kHz band-pass filter In or out
- Push Button: LF range Peak or Shelf
- Push Button: HF range Peak or Shelf
- Push Button: Equalization In or Out
- Tally light when In
- Connector: 30 pin PC connector supplied
- Size: 1.5" X 5.25" X 7.75" Deep
- Size (Boxed for Shipping): 4.5" X 6.25" X 10.25"
- Actual Weight: 2 lbs.
- Shipping Weight: 2.53 lbs.
API 550A Brochure
API 550A Control Diagram